Pictured: Sydney Young
Photography by Kevan Morin
The weather was hot, but the Fairmont Hotel Macdonald was the coolest place in town on June 26.
The historic hotel’s Empire Ballroom hosted The Works Golden Summer Gala, part of the 30th annual The Works Art and Design Festival. The event raised money for scholarships and art internships offered through the festival.
“We’re really trying to get more of the younger generation involved, get them exposed to art and get them supporting charitable initiatives,” said gala co-chair Sydney Young.
Young says The Works is an important part of the Edmonton arts scene. “I think it gives a lot of people the exposure they wouldn’t necessarily get. It allows them to bring these crazy ideas, and do it in, say, Churchill Square, where they can get an audience.”
1. Averie McNary and Carman McNary
2. Tim Starchuk and Megan Starchuk
3. Matthew Hudon and Jennifer Hudon
4. Adrianne Thomson and Andrea Yacyshyn
5. Chris Filipowicz and Barbara Fliwak
6. Luc Douchet and Megan Warkentin
7. Sonia Freire and Vic Freire
8. Jill Didow and Lindsay Stratton
9. Angela Fenton and Robyn Wosnack
10. Dyanne Lyons, Alan Lyons and Lois Greabeiel