photography by Kevan Morin
Dr. Kristopher Wells
Members and allies of the local LGBTQ community marked a milestone at The Westin as the annual Edmonton Pride Festival wrapped up.
About 500 people turned out on June 14 for the 10th Annual Mayor’s Pride Brunch to raise money and awareness for Camp fYrefly, a leadership program for sexual and gender minority youth.
“When our event started 10 years ago, it was a small event – it was literally in a church basement with 40 people,” said Camp fYrefly co-founder Dr. Kristopher Wells. “Now it has grown into this event with over 500 people in attendance. … It speaks to the change that’s happening in the city of Edmonton.”
Catering was handled by staff at the Westin, where the brunch was held for the first time this year. Speakers included Dr. Fern Snart, dean of the Faculty of Education at the University of Alberta; Edmonton Oilers captain Andrew Ference; and Mayor Don Iveson.
1. Sandra Huculak and Randolph Wimmer
2. Denis Liboiron and Mark Tang
3. Andrew and Krista Ference with daughters Ava and Stella
4. Ian Burch and Nicholas Ternes
5. Krystal McLay and Paul Gabrielson
6. Chris Daberer and Sean Devere
7. Moira Vne and Emeline Villedary
8. Randy Boissonnault and Ronald Laginski
9. Peter Bailey and Anne Bailey
10. Sean Mowat, Elizabeth Young and Todd Reade