Party Crasher: Art on the Block
The AGA’s main fundraiser garnered plenty of support from the community.
Photography by Mitch Coulter
Once a year for the past 16 years, the city’s art aficionados have flocked to the Art Gallery of Alberta (AGA) to bid on pieces by leading Canadian artists. The event, known as Art on the Block, is the AGA’s major fundraiser. “All of the proceeds go to supporting educational programs and exhibits at the AGA,” says Carolyn Patton, chair of Art on the Block committee. “Since the art gallery opened the new building in 2010, the proceeds from Art on the Block have served over 60,000 students through education programs.”
This year, the May 2 event raised over $165,000. The fundraiser featured a silent auction with art from more than 80 Canadian artists, including Lyndal Osborne, Erin Ross and Giuseppe Albi. About 500 guests enjoyed appetizers by Zinc, made with locally-grown ingredients. “It’s a great way to engage people with the art gallery,” said Patton.
1. Catherine Crowston and Giuseppe Albi
2. Maggie Mitchell and Kimberly Van Nieuvenhuyse
3. Allison Leggatt and Danna Beatty
4. Matthew Todoruk and Charlene Todoruk
5. Evan Lockwood and Teri Muhlbeier
6. Matt Evans and Raymond Patricio
7. Scott Graham and Douglas Stollery
8. Suzanne Polkosnik and Jill Sheward
9. Marc Carnes and Jim Keefe
10. Adam Rozenhart, Rachel Dunn and Wade Kelly