photography by Kevan Morin
This party was 100 years in the making.
About 450 guests gathered at the Edmonton EXPO Centre Sept. 10 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the first woman being called to the Law Society of Alberta, Lillian Ruby Clements, at a gala put on by Women’s Legal Forum of the Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers Association.
“The objective is to leave inspired and mentored, and that would help us further in our profession and in our daily lives,” said
Women’s Legal Forum chair Teresa Haykowsky.
The event also raised at least $30,000 for iHuman Youth Society and its Woven Journey program in particular, which helps teen moms get their educations and learn parenting skills.
Clements still inspires female lawyers today. “Looking at our roots is important to inspire us going forward,” said ACTLA board member Shelagh McGregor.
Northlands supplied the food and drinks, and provided the space at no charge. Guest speakers included Supreme Court of Canada Justice Suzanne Ct, and entertainment was provided by the Sean Sonego Quartet.
1. Carlie Lane and Karen McDougall
2. Shad Turner and Ania Werbeniuk
3. Camille Dorey and Jeanette Fedorak
4. Riley Gallant and Crystal Lawrence
5. Steven Kim and Betty-Anne Whalley
6. Georgia Davies and Lisa Curial
7. Elizabeth MacInnis and Allison Grimsey
8. Iman Jomha and Jolne Davies
9. Lisa Redmond and Corinne Petersen
10. Sandy Leske, Shelagh McGregor and Yana Read